The Gibraltar Parliament is the legislature of the British overseas territory of Gibraltar. Between 1969 and 2006, it was called the Gibraltar House of Assembly. Prior to this, on 23 November 1950, the Duke of Edinburgh inaugurated the Legislative Council.
The House of Assembly, set up under the 1969 constitution, was a unicameral body originally consisting of 15 members elected by the Gibraltar electorate, plus two appointed members, including the Attorney-General. The term “House of Assembly” has been commonly used for the legislatures of British territories that are less than fully sovereign. It was replaced by the current Gibraltar Parliament by the new 2006 constitution, reflecting an increase in its sovereignty. All 17 of the new Parliament’s members are elected.
Acting Clerk to the Parliament
156 Main Street
Gibraltar GX11 1AA
Tel: +350 2007 8420
Email: [email protected]
The proceedings of Parliament are broadcast live. Audio and video recordings of the meetings are posted on the Parliament’s website. The authoritative record of proceedings is known as Hansard.
The Parliament has a staff of four, including the Clerk. It does not have a separate section to carry out the duties of reporters. Instead, the Tynwald Hansard team has produced transcripts for Gibraltar since 2012. An audio file of the proceedings is sent to the Tynwald Hansard team who produce a transcript. These transcripts are then edited back in Gibraltar. Once finalised, they are circulated to Members and published on the Parliament’s website.
Proceeding of Select Committee meetings are also recorded and sent to the Tynwald Hansard team. The same process of editing applies as for a meeting of Parliament.